History of Riverfork Federal Credit Union
Riverfork Federal Credit Union got its start in 1959 by a group of City of Grand Forks employees. The original name of the credit union was Grand Forks City Employees Federal Credit Union. To exemplify the “people helping people” philosophy of the credit union movement, the employees pooled their money and loaned it to those employees in need. In 1975, the credit union changed its name to the Grand Forks City and County Employees Federal Credit Union when it opened its membership to the Park District of Grand Forks employees and Grand Forks County employees. The credit union continued to add more employer groups which prompted the credit union to change its name to one which reflected the Grand Forks area and the fork in the “mighty Red River”. In 1990, the credit union’s name changed to Riverfork Federal Credit Union.
One of the credit union’s first offices was in the basement of City Hall. The credit union then moved to the police department building. Its final destination was an office building located at 711 North Washington Street where the credit union shared the building with a chiropractor, massage therapist, counselor and hair salon. In 1994, Riverfork FCU expanded its office space when it purchased the building and moved to the main floor. This allowed the credit union to add a drive-window and night depository.
Riverfork FCU serves 21 employer groups in the Grand Forks/East Grand Forks area. The credit union is large enough to offer a variety of financial services but small enough to know its members and their needs. The credit union is owned and controlled by its members through its volunteer board of directors. Each year, the membership elects its board of directors and credit committee at its annual meeting.
Our mission at Riverfork Federal Credit Union is to provide our members with a source of credit at a fair and reasonable rate of interest, encourage thrift, and provide an opportunity for our members to improve their economic conditions,
Our long term goal at Riverfork Federal Credit Union is to provide our members with all the financial products and services they will ever need.
Riverfork Federal Credit Union
711 North Washington Street
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Field of Membership
- Employees of the City of Grand Forks and of the Park District of Grand Forks who work in Grand Forks, North Dakota
- Employees of the County of Grand Forks who work in Grand Forks County, North Dakota
- Employees of the State of North Dakota who work in the County of Grand Forks
- Employees of the following entities who work in or are supervised from Grand Forks, North Dakota:
Aatrix Software, Inc.
Development Homes Inc.
Farroh Law Office
Home of Economy
Minnkota Power Cooperative
Nodak Electric Cooperative
North Dakota Mill and Elevator
US Waste (formerly Vern’s Refuse Service/RPN, Inc.)
Young Manufacturing, Inc.
- Employees of the City of East Grand Forks who work in East Grand Forks,
- Employees and directors of Red River Valley Community Action (formerly Quad
County Community Action Agency) who work in or are supervised from Grand
Forks, North Dakota
- Employees of the following entities who work in Grand Forks, North Dakota:
Northern Tier Seed Company
P.D. Sproule co.
- Employees of Rhino Contracting who work in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
- Employees of this credit union
- Persons retired as pensioners or annuitants from the above employment
- Spouses of persons who died while within the field of membership of this credit union
- Members of their immediate families - includes spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild, including step and adoptive relatives
- Organizations of such persons